Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Mad Hatter lies Hatless and at Peace

Chris Barry, Asbury Park Poet and Mad Hatter Dead at 54

J Keef Christian just called to let me know that Chris Barry, poet and longtime New Jersey music journalist, died last week. His only close relative, his brother, lives in Mexico, so it will be difficult to figure out what will be happening with Chris' writing etc. I volunteered to do what I could, and am reproducing the note I just sent to J Keef in case anyone with more information stumbles across it through a search engine. Please contact me if I can be of any assistance. I don't know what else to do. Presumably there will be an Asbury Park memorial show at The Saint or The Stone Pony sometime this summer.

Dear J Keef:

Brighton Poesy Show:
Wed May 24
'Maybe I Will'
Poetry Show

Sign up for Jacko's email list. There's a copy below of the most recent, which includes the poetry show noted above. I'll be in London kissing the dust of those poets who have gone before.

It was terrible to hear that the Mad Hatter himself has passed through the pearly gates. Chris Barry's name will echo awhile here below--just as his words always did. Please let me know of anything I can do to help caretake his literary legacy. I can scan documents, make electronic copies, store things on the web, etc. quite easily and will gladly take on any such task--including arranging storage space for any of his materials that have survived him. Silence was never his long suit in life, and in death it is an unseemly garment for a poet.

Sincerely,
Gregg
______________________________________________
Gregg G. Brown
324B Matawan Avenue
Cliffwood, NJ 07721
(732) 970-8409
gregglory.com
______________________________________________